10/23/2012

Sun Rays


I remember a day in college where the sun was bright, warm and just beautiful.  I remember watching my friends and colleges sitting, laughing and talking and just thinking to myself, how blessed I was at that moment to be able to see and experience the life I was living and how, at times, I tend to take advantage of those blessings. 

My mother made it a point to send me something every once in awhile to encourage me to live life for God and to remember that I was special and had a purpose.  She constantly, even after leaving home, reminded me that I was meant for great things and that I just had to believe this myself.

There was a moment at the end of my college years that I wrote a song for my mother and my sister.  Their encouragement and appreciation for my voice was one part of my motivation to sing.  So I wrote a song to express some of the things that I saw and understood at that time about God.  It was a simple song to me then but reading back on it now I can see a deeper understanding.

I will later share the tune that was created by Angela Ashley and I, but I wanted to share the lyrics. It is a simple song and a simple statement, but when I sit and just think about it, it means much more than that to me now.

SUN RAYS
As I watch the sun rise above the trees
I see a ray that God has bestowed on me
They’re the rays of a new beginning a fresh day a new start,
And more of His path to cover.
So if I take the time to share and show I care
I’ll shine just as bright as the sunrays
And if I take the time to give and know He lives
I’ll shine just as bright as the sunrays.
The path to Gods house is where I’m going
He leads me there with a new quest each morning
As long as I keep my heart open my mind free
I can always hear what he’s telling me
So if I take the time to share and show I care
I’ll shine just as bright as the sunrays
And If I take the time to give and know He lives
I’ll shine just as bright as the sunray
As I watch the sun rise above the trees
 I feel the rays that God has bestowed on me.
By Tanisha Garfield

No comments:

Post a Comment